EUMETSAT is Europe’s meteorological satellite agency – monitoring the weather and climate from space – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
Working for EUMETSAT, you can make a world of difference and be a part of something that makes a positive impact on society. You will be at the cutting edge of satellite technology, with a meaningful role in an organisation focused on space-based observations of the Earth’s weather and climate.
Within the Strategy, Communication and International Relations Division (SCIR) the Librarian Manages the EUMETSAT library service. The library provides document delivery services to the EUMETSAT employees by procuring, organising and making available externally published resources (books, standards, journals) in print and electronic format. In addition, the library provides research assistance to its internal customers. The emphasis is on information sources of a technical nature but all topics of use to employees for their work are covered (e.g. people management skills, team working, and personal effectiveness).
What you’ll be doing
- Manage the library daily operations including loans, periodicals, acquisitions, cataloguing, budget tracking, shelf management;
- Conduct research for users when requested and manage a current awareness service;
- Develop and maintain management information about the library (e.g. procedures, usage statistics) and maintain the computerised library management system;
- Prepare the annual library budgets;
- Promote the services of the library, continuously evaluating user needs and adapting the library collection and services accordingly, while planning and implementing a development strategy for new services and resources;
- Establish working relationships and links with other libraries;
- Supervise the Assistant Librarian.
What we offer
- Excellent salary, of up to Euro 6000 NET (after tax) based on skills and experience
- Flexible working time including additional flexi-leave
- Full medical coverage for employee and family
- Attractive pension
- 30 days of annual leave + 14.5 days public holidays
- Training and development support
- Relocation allowance and support (if applicable)
- Full secondary education with additional qualifications in library, archival or information studies or alternatively long-standing experience in running and developing a library is a requirement.
Skills and Experience Requirements:
- Proven experience in running all aspects of a library service, preferably a small library in a scientific and technical environment;
- Excellent computer skills with a specific emphasis on computerised library management systems in a cloud setting, management of e-books and electronic journal subscriptions and the use of electronic resources such as Web of Science, Scopus, O’Reilly Learning;
- Pro-active attitude to providing library services to users;
- Strong self-motivation with high-level of autonomy, planning and organising skills;
- Strong interpersonal and team-working skills and the ability to effectively communicate with many different organisational interfaces;
- Experience in providing library services via virtual channels would be an advantage;
- Team management / coordination duties would be an advantage.
The official languages of EUMETSAT are English and French. Candidates must be fluent in English with some knowledge of French. Due to interfaces with local suppliers, a good working knowledge of German is an advantage.
More about us
EUMETSAT’s role is to establish and operate meteorological satellites to monitor the weather and climate from space – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This information is supplied to the National Meteorological Services of the organisation’s Member and Cooperating States in Europe, as well as other users worldwide.
EUMETSAT also operates several Copernicus missions on behalf of the European Union and provide data services to the Copernicus marine and atmospheric services and their users.
As an intergovernmental European Organisation, EUMETSAT can recruit nationals only from the 30 Member States (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom).
Application URL: https://eumetsat.jobbase.io/job/gwu91ctg