The German Institute for Japanese Studies (DIJ), Tokyo is a German research institute based in Tokyo (www.dijtokyo.org). As an institute of the Max Weber Foundation, it is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research.
The DIJ isrecruiting one librarian (full–time staff).
- General library duties: Acquisition of print and e–resources, reference service, ILL,
cataloging (entry into CAT), inventory.
- Liaise with Japanese LIS institutions (NDL, NII, JSLA), university libraries (Sophia, Waseda,
Hosei) and German cooperation partners, e.g. Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin, where part of
our collection is on permanent loan.
- Organization of library events with external library partners.
- Support of digitization and Digital Humanities (DH)–projects.
We welcome applications from candidates with the following profile:
- University graduate or above.
- Librarian qualification and at least three years of experience in library service.
- Experience in cataloging materials in English, using NACSIS CAT.
- Ability and willingness to run the library as solo librarian.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office programs and openness to learn new tools.
- Willingness to participate in online meetings of the Foundation–wide library network.
- Good knowledge of subject–related digital offerings (portals, region–related digitized
collections, databases, etc.).
Applicants must be fluent in English and in Japanese, and preferably German. They must either have
Japanese nationality or otherwise be in possession of a Japanese working visa.
The employment would be first on a two–year basis starting April 2023 with the option of a
permanent position thereafter, if certain conditions are met.
The Max Weber Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, or disability. The Max Weber Foundation is a family–friendly employer who
is committed to support a healthy work–life balance.
The employment conditions are in accordance with the employment regulations of the German
Embassy in Tokyo and depending on the skills and experience of the employee.
Individuals interested in this position are invited to send their cover letter and CV in English to
email@example.com, no later than February 20, 2023.