Organization: NEPIK-IAEA Library Unit
Primary Location: Austria-Vienna-Vienna-IAEA Headquarters
Job Posting: 2018-10-16, 4:02:57 PM
Closing Date: 2018-11-28, 12:59:00 AM
Duration in Months: 36
Contract Type: Fixed Term – Regular
Probation Period: 1 Year
The Division of Energy Planning and Nuclear Information and Knowledge comprises the Planning and Economic Studies Section, Nuclear Knowledge Management Section and the Nuclear Information Section. The Division is responsible for strengthening capacities in energy and nuclear power planning, building capacities to manage nuclear knowledge and provide knowledge management services to interested member states, and to procure and provide printed and electronic information in the area of nuclear science and technology.
The Nuclear Information Section (NIS) consists of the IAEA Library Unit, the INIS Unit and the Systems Development and Support Group. It fosters the exchange of scientific and technical information on the peaceful use of nuclear science and technology; increases awareness in Member States of the importance of maintaining efficient and effective systems for managing such information; provides information services and support to Member States and to the IAEA; and assists with capacity building and training.
Under the supervision of the IAEA Library Coordinator, the Librarian provides assistance with resource sharing activities, such as Interlibrary Loan (ILL), article delivery, and document delivery. S/he assists with access services and collaborates with other librarians to provide research and reference service to patrons, including the IAEA Secretariat, Member States and partner institutions. The successful candidate will also collaborate with librarians to evaluate resources for potential purchase and/or renewal and will monitor and maintain the Non-Conventional Literature (NCL) collection. S/he will assist with the International Nuclear Library Network (INLN), user training and Library promotion.
The Librarian performs the role of (1) an access services librarian, coordinating ILL, article delivery and document delivery services and providing suggestions for related improvements (2) a collaborator, working with colleagues, library partners, and vendors to improve resource sharing activities, (3) a reviewer, providing assistance and support in the evaluation of information sources; (4) a research librarian, providing information services to customers through research, analysis of assigned topics and timely preparation and distribution of information products to target audiences; and (5) a team member working collaboratively with other members of the IAEA Library and the Nuclear Information Section on improving efficiency of delivering products and services to customers using modern information technology.
Functions / Key Results Expected
- Provides assistance for ILL, article delivery and document delivery services in order to provide efficient and responsive information retrieval to library users.
- Monitors and maintains the integrity of the NCL collection, identifying appropriate materials that meet the Agency’s information needs and ensure that the NCL records are accurate in the integrated library management system.
- Keeps abreast of current information trends and latest developments in resource sharing; evaluates and proposes new tools and services in order to improve library processes.
- Developing policies, workflows, and special projects in partnership with other NIS staff and in areas related to access services.
- Provides efficient and responsive scientific and technical information service to library patrons, including regular shifts at the information desk.
- Prepare regular statistical reports on access services, resources, and other activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Library Coordinator.
Find more information here: https://iaea.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=2018/0607%20(196874)&tz=GMT%2B02%3A00